Are you ready to add a spin to the classic potato salad? Try smoking it with some delicious but non-traditional potato salad ingredients. Cookshack has two varieties for you to try. Either of these could be made using a Cookshack Electric Smoker or Fast Eddy’s™ by Cookshack Pellet smoker or grill. We have served these at cooking classes and cooking demonstrations. We seldom had leftovers!
The first recipe is from Chef Ryan from Sysco, Norman and was prepared and eaten at a recent cooking demonstration. This is served chilled like a classic potato salad.
Smoked Potato Salad
- 5 lbs. of your preferred red skin potato salad (mayo based)
- 1 C. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 C. crumbled crispy bacon pieces
- ½ C. diced green onion
- 3 T. Smoked Paprika
- Place the potato salad in a 2” deep half aluminum pan
- Smoke the potato salad at a temperature below 160°F
for 25-30 minutes using hickory wood or pellets
- Remove potato salad to the cooler and allow to cool back to a safe holding temperature
- When ready to serve; garnish with smoked paprika, cheddar cheese, bacon pieces, and diced green onions
- Serve immediately
For another spin, try this smoked baked potato salad with a recipe from Cookshack dealer, Red Ritch of Houston, TX. This is a favorite with Cookshack employees! This is hot version of potato salad.
Smoked Baked Potato Salad
- Medium red potatoes
- Sour Cream
- Real Bacon Bits
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Clean the potatoes
- Add potatoes to boiling, salted water for 5 to 8 minutes
- Strain potatoes and let them cool naturally
- Dice into
- Mix mayo into potatoes – not runny
- Add sour cream until you have a paste consistency
- Sprinkle dill over the top
- Spread into a rectangular pan
- Add a layer of bacon bits and a layer of cheddar cheese
- Smoke at 250°F using hickory wood or pellets; cook for 30 minutes and cover the pan with foil then cook another hour
- Serve immediately
We hope you enjoy these spins on the traditional potato salads. We would love to hear from you and share your favorite recipes! Give us a call at 1.800.423.0698!