Are you looking for a fun way to spice up your Thanksgiving meal? Try our mouth-watering smoked turkey recipe with our state-of-the-art Cookshack smoker for an unforgettable holiday meal.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 hours
- 1 (10 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- ½ cup butter
- 2 (12 fluid oz.) cans cola-flavored carbonated beverage
- 1 apple, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- Preheat smoker to 225-250 degrees F
- Rinse turkey under cold water and pat dry. Rub the crushed garlic all over the outside of the turkey and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Place in roasting pan. Fill turkey cavity with butter, cola, apple, onion, garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper. Cover loosely with foil.
- Smoke at 225-250 degrees F for 10 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F when measured in the thickest part of the thigh. Baste the bird every 1-2 hours with the juices from the bottom of the roasting pan.
FAQs About Smoking a Turkey
Is using a disposable roasting pan dangerous?
A flimsy disposable roasting pan is more likely to buckle under the weight of a large turkey, possibly burning you in the process. Use a stainless steel roasting pan or handle a disposable pan very carefully.
Is a fresh turkey juicier than a frozen one?
This depends on personal preference. Consider getting a frozen turkey if you like to shop for Thanksgiving ingredients well before the holiday, and remember that a fresh turkey should be cooked within 1-2 days of purchase.
Should I brine my turkey?
Brining helps to avoid chewy, tough, and dry meat. Understanding the ins and outs of brining isn’t difficult once you know a few basic principles!
Our Cookshack Smokers
At Cookshack, we have an amazing variety of innovative smokers to help you get that delicious, smoky flavor every time! They’re easy to load, clean, and maintain and are also energy-efficient. Our smokers are made with special Spin-Glas insulation that’s surrounded by double-walled construction so the outside of the smoker is cool to the touch and safe for family.