Dazzle your tastebuds with a delicious smoked ham cooked in your very own smoker for your Christmas dinner this year!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
- 1 (7 pound) pre-cooked bone-in ham
- ⅓ cup BBQ spice
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 ¼ cup apple cider (divided use)
- Cooking spray
- Fresh herbs or fruit for garnish
- Preheat smoker to 250 degrees F
- Coat a disposable aluminum pan with cooking spray. Place the ham cut side down in the pan.
- Sprinkle the BBQ spice over the exterior of the ham.
- Place the pan in the smoker and cook for one hour.
- Continue to cook the ham for another 2-3 hours, basting every 30-45 minutes with the 2 cups of apple cider.
- The ham is done when a thermometer, inserted into the thickest part of the ham, reads 140 degrees F.
- When the ham is about 135 degrees F, make the glaze.
- Place the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and remaining 1/4 cup of apple cider in a pan over medium heat.
- Bring the pan to a simmer. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until glaze has just thickened.
- Brush the glaze all over the ham. Transfer the ham to a platter. Garnish with herbs and fruit if desired, then serve.
Tips for Smoking a Ham
There are many ways to smoke a ham, and if you feel like getting creative you can try making your own homemade version of the BBQ spice mix!
Choose a disposable aluminum pan to keep your clean-up to a minimum, but remember that disposable pans can be flimsy and must be handled with caution to prevent burns or spills.
Choosing the Right Smoker
A high-quality smoker is a great gift idea for the food connoisseur in your life. As you’re looking for the right smoker, consider versatility, size, price, features, and fuel type.
For example, a smoker that’s easy to clean and maintain is ideal for the chef who loves convenience, whereas the more meticulous cook might prefer a smoker with precise temperature control.
Cookshack is the place to look to find the perfect smoker to cook up your mouth-watering Christmas ham. Visit our website to see everything we have to offer!