This Thanksgiving, surprise your family with the best-smoked turkey they’ve ever had. Turkey is the holiday staple at most Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner tables. Smoked food is slow-cooked, and slow cooking food helps it remain tender, soft, and succulent while also retaining the maximum amount of flavor.
Cooking a turkey properly is a little trickier than smaller birds like chicken or duck, but don’t let that deter you. Even if you have never smoked a turkey before, you can use these tips to smoke a succulent bird that your tastebuds will love.
How Do You Smoke Turkey?
The first step to a deliciously smoked turkey is having the right tools for the job. Electric smokers and pellet grills from Cookshack are designed to give you mouth-watering meats with each and every use.
- Select a skinned, mid-sized bird of 10-12 pounds.
- Rub it with butter and spices and brine it for 48 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the fridge, and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes before placing it in a hot smoker or grill at 250°F.
- Continue with the process for up to 10 hours, or until the turkey’s center reaches 180°F. If you are smoking a bigger bird, expect a longer cooking time.
Here are some delicious and straightforward methods to brine your turkey:
- Smoked turkey is delightful to taste even without adding too much seasoning. Beginners can taste success by merely coating the turkey with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- If you want to try something more ‘gourmet,’ you can fill the breast cavity with apples, onion, garlic, lemons, and aromatic spices so that your turkey full of flavor.
For a more in-depth guide on smoking your next bird, check out our guide to Turkey 101. Not a turkey family? No problem! Check out our recipes page for tips and guides on how to prepare your family’s favorite meats for your next holiday meal.
Cookshack is proud to provide quality smokers, grills, and accessories that make every celebration a little more delicious. Get in touch with us or visit our website and learn more about how our products can transform your next holiday meal.